Clean up and restructure Wiki pages
I suggest considering Wiki cleanup.
1. Extract developer tools to separate page
Our website's "/Miscellaneous" page is titled "Explore Fediverse software". But apart from software we list various developer tools.
Wiki watchlists are the "developer branch" of the /Misc page: they are more often updated and list alpha-stage apps not yet added to the website. You can see that the number of AP developer tools keeps growing. There's a newly added Drupal plugin, and we also have a whole separate page for Wordpress-AP plugins.
I wish to create a new website page for all Fediverse related developer tools. Leaving only software on the /Misc page.
Thus a suggestion to do the following:
- Create new Wiki page for Fediverse DevTools (all protocols; may have 3 big categories by protocol)
- Move all developer tools from AP watchlist to this new page. That includes: libraries, utilities, relays, plugins, bridges.
- Move Wordpress plugins to this list under "Plugins" subcategory, delete dedicated Wordpress page (cleanup!)
- Optionally put a link to Devtools page on AP software watchlist, for people to find it.
2. Add structure to Software watchlists
I'm adding a bit more data to our /Misc page cards: code language, developer toolset, app description, official app's account, possibly license. I suggest, when possible, adding more data about each app in the watchlist.
We can use markdown "tables" for this. Example:
||AGPLv3||https://writefreely.org||Go||https://writing.exchange/@write_as||Focused writing and publishing; extra comment here: blah blah blah.|
It's boring to add data to already listed apps. I'm going to look for this info anyway and can add it myself. Would we all add same data (when possible) for any new additions?
What do you think? Beware: the result looks nice, but editing such tables in markdown takes more time and attention than just adding a new line. We can do it without markdown tables (requires no changes to current page layout, just adding needed information):
3. Possibly remove some Wiki pages - cleanup
a) If we include "donate" column to our apps watchlist, then we can delete this page. I doubt many users have found it. While quite some users look at our watchlists every now and then, would be nice to aggregate data there.
b) I'd suggest removing this page too, unless we plan to update it. The link mentioned there can be found on site's /Mastodon page.
c) This page is also outdated, the resources that currently work are all listed on our website.
What are your thoughts on each of these? I can start implementing 1,2,3 while I'm working on expanding cards and am gathering all this extra information.